Everything You Need to Know: Information, Rules and Terms
WHAT DOES ENVISION KINDNESS DO WITH THE IMAGES?
(revised Februrary 2022)
We use images to inspire kindness, compassion, joy, and love. That is how we accomplish our mission.
Every day, people are exposed to negative images, stories, and experiences. These include greed, violence, anger, disaster, etc. We know that this exposure is stressful to the viewer—it causes anger, anxiety, depression, and can affect behavior, disconnecting people from one another.
To help counterbalance the negative, we need to be able to provide them with diverse positive images on a regular basis. We know that these images have great power to bring out joy, gratitude, optimism, love, and compassion.
To accomplish this, a large portfolio of moving and inspiring images that include depictions of kindness, compassion, love and connection are needed. That way we can share different images over time to keep people inspired. Photographers from around the world play a critical part in this crowd sourced effort to remind people that we are all human and connected to each other in many different ways. Society desperately needs all of our help.
Many of the images that are submitted to this contest will be used to further the mission to help people see kindness and do more kindnesses (includes prize winners and images that did not win a prize). All image usage will be exclusively for Envision Kindness projects, outreach, and mission building in a non-commercial way. By non-commercial, we mean that the submitted images will not be sold or licensed to third parties for commercial use without the prior consent and further compensation to the photographer. In addition, Envision Kindness will not use the images for commercial purposes of selling images as prints or in books or calendars (any printed material) without the additional prior consent and compensation of the photographer. All photographers retain the copyright to and ownership of their images.
We do ask for limited, non-exclusive license to use the submitted image through Envision Kindness’ own platforms to promote its mission. By non-exclusive, we mean that by while you give us permission to use the image according to the terms set forth below, you still retain the right to license the image to others. Image use may be on Envision’s website, in social media, in displays in specific locations, incorporated into video (in our program EnSpire), or even perhaps as an exhibit in promotion of its mission. We will credit the photographer of each image.
While you may not win a prize, your work can make the world a better place. That’s really what this contest is about. Your image can mean a lot for someone else to see it.
This contest is a way to have many others take part in healing the world. Envision Kindness cannot do it alone, nor can any single photographer. We understand if sharing your images as described is not acceptable and you choose not to participate. We respect that. Yet we hope that you can see how a community effort like this could be transformational for so many and want you to feel some pride in that transformation if you choose to participate.
- This contest is open to all photographers 18 years of age and older.
- There is no geographic restriction on the origin of the contestant. However, please note that photographers from a few countries may not be able to receive prize money because they are prohibited by US law or the laws of their own country. In these cases, prize funds will be donated to an organization promoting peace and kindness in the photographer’s name. Please see the section on prizes below.
- Participants must submit their own original work.
- Participants may submit up to 5 entries total. An entry consists of one photo, in addition to the completed information fields.
- Images of kindness can be either as they occurred (documentary style) or as they are conceived of (or recreated) to illustrate concepts or past events. The submissions are only as limited as the creativity of the photographer.
- All submissions must:
- Be at least 3000 Pixels on long dimension at 300 dpi
- Use Adobe RGB for color space
- Be JPEG (at max quality) or TIFF file formats up to 10MB file size
- All submissions must be made through the dedicated contest platform: launchpad.com. Submissions received outside this platform (via email or other methods) will not be accepted.
- All content submitted must be entirely original with all rights owned by the submitter. Material violating copyright laws will be disqualified. If there is more than one creator for a submission, the other co-creators need to be acknowledged and have given permission to the named creator who submits the entry.
- Submitter must be able to grant Envision Kindness a limited non-exclusive license to use the image through Envision Kindness’ own platforms to promote its mission.
- Images must be appropriate for all audiences. The content should be universally positive although “negative” content that has clear kindness relevance and results in an uplifting message will also be accepted.
- Submissions must be entirely devoid of the following:
- Nudity/explicit sexual content
- Excessive violence/aggression/hostility
- Anything demeaning or otherwise insulting or dehumanizing
- All submissions will be reviewed by the contest administrators for adherence with this policy as well as the base standards and specifications described above.
- Submissions that do not appear to have anything to do with kindness, compassion, empathy, or love may be rejected at the discretion of Envision Kindness staff.
- Entries that have been published elsewhere are acceptable as long as there are no restrictions to provide Envision Kindness a non-exclusive, license to use the image as described under “Terms”.
- Photos from previous Envision Kindness contests are acceptable as long as they have not received any award through an Envision Kindness competition (for example, First Place, Public Choice, Honorable Mention, Non-profit honoree).
- Model releases are encouraged when appropriate and possible from any and all individuals captured in their submission having a reasonable expectation of privacy. Copies of a model release are available.
- All submissions must adhere to all posted rules and terms of participation and be received by the stated deadline to be eligible for consideration for awards.
- There is no entry fee for entering the contest.
- This contest and the payment of prize money is governed by the laws of the United States of America.
- If a prize cannot be awarded directly to a photographer because doing so would violate US law or the law of the photographer’s country, then the prize will be donated to an international charity promoting peace and kindness in the photographer’s name. Please note: In light of the invasion of Ukraine, we are unable to award prize funds to Russian or Belarusian citizens in the 2022 contest. Entrants from Russia and Belarus will be recognized for their contributions, and are eligible to earn any of the prize titles, but we are unable to award the associated prize money to individuals from these nations at this time. We recognize that there are many kind people in those countries as there are in all others. As the world needs much more kindness, we need to find ways to come together, so we welcome everyone’s participation. As it is important to still honor their talent and kindness, any winnings of photographers from these countries will be awarded to an international charity that promotes peace and tolerance.
- All decisions are final.
Submissions Open: March 8, 2022
- Final Submission Deadline: May 15, 2022, at 11:59 pm EDT
- Online voting: May 17, 2022 until May 22, 2022 at 11:59 pm EDT
- Winners announced: June, 2022 (exact date to be announced)
- All entries that have been properly submitted are reviewed to be sure they meet all standards and requirements of the contest.
- Once approved, submissions are posted to the contest website. The first step of finalist selection is public voting, in which the public selects 10 of the 40 finalists. All photographers will be notified when voting will open. All submitted and approved photos are eligible for public voting. The top point recipient will win a prize.
- The other 30 finalists are selected by Envision Kindness staff.
- Once the 40 finalists have been determined, these 40 images be eligible for judging.
- For consideration in a separate category, the Envision Kindness staff will also select 10 additional photos for consideration for the nonprofit honoree prize by our judges.
- A total of 10 images will be selected for consideration of the Caring and Connection prize. These can be from the 40 finalists mentioned above or other images that the Envision Kindness staff has identified that were not part of the finalist group.
- Distinguished Judges Selection: Our accomplished judges have volunteered to review the submissions and select the winners of the contest. The names and brief biographies can be seen from the link on our website. Entries will be judged for the inspirational effect of the submission as well as for technical quality and creativity.
- Public voting: On May 17, 2022, the contest portal will open for public voting. Contestants should publicize and promote their submission(s) and solicit votes, social media likes, and comments. The top 10 point recipients in each category will automatically qualify as finalists to be considered by the judges in the final selection of the winners. In addition, the top point-getter will win the Public Choice prize.
- In addition to the top 10 point recipients, Envision Kindness will send up to 30 additional submissions to the judging round who were not top point recipients.
- All judging is considered final and binding.
- Envision Kindness reserves the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Envision Kindness and the judges at their sole discretion.
- Envision Kindness reserves the right to extend contest deadlines at any time.
There will be seven prizes awarded:
- First place, Public Choice, Nonprofit Honoree, Caring and Connection, and three Honorable Mentions
- The Public Choice prize is earned by popular (public) choice. You promote your entries and the world gets to pick their favorites! The image that receives the most points will win the Public Choice Prize.
- The Nonprofit Honoree prize will be awarded to the photo that most powerfully tells the story of a nonprofit (charity) or NGO and their community impact. 50% of the prize will be awarded to the photographer, 50% of the prize will be awarded to the featured nonprofit.
- The Caring and Connection prize will recognize an image that has shows these qualities during the pandemic.
First Place: $500
Public Choice Award: $500
Nonprofit Honoree: $500
Caring and Connection: $250
Honorable Mention (3 chosen): $100 each
Each photo can only win one prize, whichever is greater.
By accepting these terms, I, the Participant, agree to the following:
- Voluntary Participation: That participation in this contest is entirely voluntary
- Rules, Decisions, and Prizes:
- To abide by the contest rules
- That the decisions of the contest judges are final
- All US federal, state and local taxes and any other fees from receiving prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. Non-US winners are solely responsible for any tax or other obligation.
- If the winner(s) of any prize is found to be ineligible or decline the prize, the prize will be forfeited. Envision Kindness and the judges, at their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another contestant
- Permission to Use Submitted Content: I (the “Participant”) agree to provide to Envision Kindness, Inc (“Envision Kindness”), a limited, non-exclusive license to use the image and accompanying text (all considered Content) through Envision Kindness’ own platforms to promote its mission. I, the Participant, acknowledge that I am at least 18 years of age and own the copyright to the content provided to Envision Kindness or have permission of the copyright holder to submit the Content.
- That there is no expectation of compensation for submitting this Content or from Envision’s use of the Content for these purposes. Envision Kindness will credit me, the Participant, as the creator of the Content. If there are other creators of the submitted Content, then I, the Participant, warrant that all co-creators agree with the terms of the contest.
- I, the Participant, retain the copyright and grant Envision Kindness a limited, non-exclusive license to use Content as consistent with its mission.
- Participant warrants that he or she is the owner of the copyright to all Content submitted to Envision Kindness or have permission of the copyright holder to submit the Content and that the Content does not violate any laws or the rights of any individuals or business entities including copyrights, trade secrets, privacy rights, and right to privacy.
- If there are co-creators of the submitted Content, then Participant warrants that the co-creators have all given approval for submission of the Content to this contest and for its potential use as described above.
- Pursuant to this agreement, Participant and any co-creators grant a limited, non-exclusive license for the following usage of the Content:
- Display on the Envision Kindness website or Envision Kindness related websites (such as a future contest website);
- Circulation via e-mail and similar messaging services (e. g., Twitter, Facebook, or an app) to Envision Kindness followers and the general public;
- Display on monitors/screens (in video format) to promote the mission of Envision Kindness as in EnSpire;
- Promoting Envision Kindness and Envision Kindness-sponsored events (including events for which Envision Kindness is not the sole sponsor);
- Testing in social science research that Envision Kindness and its collaborators undertake to understand how these images affect people;
- Images may be displayed in physical exhibits in venues such as galleries or museums or theaters.
- Envision Kindness will not sell or license a submitted image to a third party without prior permission of the photographer/copyright owner
- Envision Kindness will not sell prints of submitted images either alone or in other forms (such as books, calendars, etc.) without prior permission of the photographer/copyright owner.
- If published, the Content will be identified (credited) as work of Participant (and co-creators, as indicated).
- Accompanying Information and Model Releases:
- Participant warrants that the information provided to Envision Kindness (whether entered onto the contest website or in any form of communication with Envision Kindness staff) is complete and accurate to the best of their knowledge.
- Participant warrants that, when appropriate and possible, they have received model releases from any and all individuals captured in their Content having a reasonable expectation of privacy (not in a public space). If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/ province/ territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is advised on each release.
- Participant agrees NOT to use paid or professional services to increase voting. An indication of that would warrant removal from the contest.
- Waiver and Release:
- I recognize that I am participating in this contest on a voluntary basis and that Envision Kindness nor any of its officers or employees are not responsible for any liability, injury, or loss that I may incur due to my participation.
- Should I, the Participant of the submitted work, as well as any co-creators, breach the terms of this agreement, then the Participant shall indemnify, release and forever discharge and hold harmless Envision Kindness, its agents, officers, directors, employees, associates, successors and assigns from any and all liability, claims, and demands, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from my association and engagement with Nonprofit. The indemnity shall apply to any liabilities and expenses (including attorneys’ fees and costs) or claim that I, the Participant, may have against Envision Kindness with respect to financial cost, bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death, or property damage or other loss that may result from my engagement with the Envision Kindness Photography Contest, including but not limited to the production of materials for Envision Kindness or participation in any Envision Kindness events.
- Cancellation of Contest: If for any reason the contest must be canceled, as determined by Envision Kindness, then Envision Kindness will not retain any rights to the submitted content.
- General Terms:
- If any term or provision of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable for any reason, the remainder of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect and shall be fully enforceable on its remaining terms and conditions.
- Participant agrees that all claims involving the content shall be brought in State of Connecticut, USA.
- This agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the Agreement between Participant and Envision Kindness, which supersedes any proposal or prior agreement, oral or written, and any other communication between Participant and Envision Kindness, relating to the subject of this Agreement.
- This contest is governed by the laws of the United States of America.