Photo Contest: FAQs
Anyone 18 years of age or older.
- To increase awareness of the kindness and compassion around us by capturing photos demonstrating these virtues
- To educate and inspire the general public through wide sharing of the impactful content generated by the program
- To engage photographers to be an integral part of this transformational program and both recognize and reward them for their efforts
- To create more joy, harmony, connection, collaboration, gratitude, and compassion through these photos
Yes! The contest is completely free to enter.
The winners will be announced in December 2018.
The finalists will be announced mid-November 2018.
A total of 40 finalists are selected by both the online community and Envision Kindness staff (20 by each). To be one of the top 20 finalists from public support, you must have the most shares, votes, comments and likes during the voting period from November 15, 2018 – November 22, 2018. The other 20 finalists are selected by Envision Kindness staff based on the quality of the photo, the message of the photo, and information included by the photographer explaining what is happening in the photo. The winners will be chosen by our panel of distinguished judges.
Kindness appears in many different forms. Our website also provides some ideas and we also encourage you to draw inspiration from last year’s finalists and winners. Some examples and ideas include:
- People helping other people: volunteers for a good cause; helping someone by comforting them, offering them food or money, helping the elderly, young or disabled; leaving a note for someone, etc.
- Kindness in Nature: People helping animals. Animals helping people. Animals helping each other. Taking care of the environment; planting a tree.
- Community: We really want to see photos from organizations that do good and kind work. Like donating blood, building homes or schools; taking care of the poor, sick, or disabled; taking care of veterans; advocating for peace, love, kindness, and compassion.
Our aim is to share images of kindness with as many people as possible to inspire more kindness. We also know that these images make people feel good. We include it as part of the contest so that you can inspire your own family, friends, and network with your good work. As we value what the public thinks, we have also created an award for Public Choice to celebrate that, too. And because there can also be photos that are terrific and that should also be considered, we will select 20 of the best that were not included in the top vote recipients. So, there are two ways to be selected as a finalist!
To be one of our top 20 finalists by points, you must have the most points.
So, how do you get points? Points are credited every time someone votes for your photo on the contest website. In addition, you get points from shares, likes or views of your photo on social media! A person can vote once every 24 hours. You can also get votes when someone comments on your photo! The contest administrators reserve the right to delete (and disqualify) any comments that are negative or do not pertain to the contest. The more you and others share your photo, the better your chance. This also helps to spread and promote kindness.
Yes! If you were not a top vote-getter, you still may have a chance. Envision Kindness will choose up to 20 photos (not in the top 20 vote recipients) as additional finalists to move on to the judging round.
No. Due to the large number of submissions, only the top 40 finalists (20 selected through voting and 20 selected by Envision Kindness) will be notified of their status after the voting period ends.
Each photo must be a separate submission. You are allowed up to five submissions.
Yes, but photographs must be uploaded by 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on November 13, 2018.
In order to be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, edited for the web, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB. Mobile photographs must be submitted at their highest resolution.
Yes. Please check that your photo is a high-resolution image. Most smartphones have the capabilities of taking high-resolution images.
Yes, you may submit work that has been previously submitted to an Envision Kindness competition. However, in an effort to promote the creation of new work, we encourage you to submit new photography as much as possible. Please note that photos that have received awards (i.e. First Place, Public Choice, or Honorable Mention) are not eligible for resubmission.
Please email further questions or comments to [email protected].