Everything You Need to Know
We know that although we see news reports of violence, greed, death, and disaster every day, there is also a lot of good in the world. In fact, probably a lot more good than bad. But people all over the world need to see it more. Something amazing happens when people see kindness: they feel a lot better, are inspired with optimism, gratitude, compassion, and joy, and show a willingness to volunteer and help others.
Envision Kindness is a nonprofit (charity) organization based in Connecticut, USA, that promotes kindness, compassion and empathy through sharing of images and stories of kindness. Driven by science, our goal is to inspire kindness and improve individual lives and communities by inspiring kindness in as many people as possible.
The objective for this contest is to capture as many photographic perspectives and stories about kindness, compassion, and empathy, and then share them with as many people as possible. Your photographic eye and humanity are critical to this. That is, can you capture kindness in its many forms?
Why participate? What can contestants get out of the contest?
Did you ever think that the world could use more kindness, compassion and empathy? How about social justice? If yes, here is your chance. Make yourself felt in a positive way through your photography. Yes, go ahead and change the world. We dare you.
And beyond making the world a better place, you can get recognized and potentially win money to do whatever you want with, including showing yourself or others some kindness.
What do we do with the images?
We will share the best images with as many people as possible. That is, your work could go out through all of our channels to help lift people’s spirits and inspire them. Stimulate more acts of kindness. Show them what a beautiful thing it is to be human, honor the good in our humanity, and connect us together. Our research shows how powerful this can be. And whether or not if you win a prize, your work will be credited to you to celebrate and honor your work.
- This contest is open to all photographers 18 and older.
- Contest is free to enter!
- There is no geographic restriction on origin of contestant or where the submitted entries were captured, except where prohibited by law for that country or state.
- Participants should submit their own original work. Participants may submit up to 5 entries total. An entry consists of one photo, in addition to the completed information fields.
- Images of kindness can be either as they occurred (documentary style) or as they are conceived of (or recreated) to illustrate concepts or past events. The images are only as limited as the creativity of the photographer.
- All submissions should be:
- At least 2000 Pixels on long dimension at 200 dpi (3000 pixels at 300 dpi preferred)
- JPEG (at max quality), png, or TIFF file formats up to 10MB file size
- We prefer Adobe RGB for color space
- if you are unsure how to do this, please see FAQs or just ask. Many cellular phone photos will also meet these specifications and likely acceptable to submit. Check your manual.
- Selected images may appear in print; for this reason, having a higher resolution is part of the final selection process.
- All submissions must be made through the dedicated contest platform www.envisionkindnesscontest.
org. Submissions received outside this platform (via email or other methods) will not be accepted. Please do NOT submit your contest images through Envision Kindness’ website (www.envisionkindness.org).
- All content submitted must be entirely original with all rights owned by the submitter. Material violating copyright laws will be disqualified. If there is more than one creator for a submission, the other co-creators need to be acknowledged and have given permission to named creator who submits the entry. Submitter must be able to grant Envision Kindness a nonexclusive license to use the image(s) in the promotion of Envision Kindness’ mission.
- Content must be appropriate for all audiences. The content should be universally positive although “negative” content that has clear kindness relevance and results in an uplifting message will also be accepted.
- Submissions should be entirely devoid of the following:
- Nudity/explicit sexual content
- Excessive violence/aggression/hostility
- Anything demeaning or otherwise insulting or dehumanizing
- All submissions will be reviewed by the contest administrators for adherence with this policy as well as the base standards and specifications described above.
- Entries that have been published elsewhere are acceptable as long as there are no restrictions to provide Envision Kindness a non-exclusive license to use the image as described under “Terms”.
- Model releases are required from any and all individuals captured in their submission having a realistic expectation of privacy. Envision Kindness has model release forms available at: http://www.envisionkindness.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/model-release.pdf. Please see “Terms” below for more detail regarding Model Releases.
- All submissions must adhere to all posted rules and terms of participation and be received by November 5, 2017 deadline to be eligible for consideration for awards.
- Submission Open: July 18, 2017
- Final Submission Deadline: November 5, 2017 at 11:59pm
- Online voting will begin on or around November 7, 2017
- Winner announced: December 2017
- All entries that have been properly submitted are reviewed to be sure they meet all standards and requirements of the contest.
- Once approved, submissions are posted to the contest website. The first step is public voting, in which the public selects 30 finalists. and are eligible for both public voting and private judging —both fantastic opportunities for exposure and to win cash, described in sections 4 and 5.
- Distinguished Judges Selection: Our accomplished judges have volunteered to review the submissions and select the winners of the contest. The names and brief biographies can be seen on www.envisionkindness.org/judges. Entries will be judged for both the inspirational effect of the submission as well as for technical quality and creativity.
- Public voting: On or around November 7, 2017, the contest portal will open for public voting. The portal will be available on other platforms as well. Contestants should publicize and promote their submission(s) and solicit votes. The top 30 vote recipients in each category will automatically qualify as finalists to be considered by the judges in final selection of the winners. In addition, the top vote-getter in each category will win the Popular Choice prize. We do public voting to help spread the ripple of kindness. We have scientific proof that seeing pictures of kindness make people happier, more optimistic, compassionate, and grateful. They are more likely to perform an act of kindness. So naturally, we want as many people as possible to be inspired. In addition to sharing your wonderful images, you become a champion of kindness. Pretty cool, huh?
- Judges’ separate selection: To also bring into the finals great images that might not have been the top vote getters, we will also select up to 10 more images. Thus, there are multiple ways for your images to get into the finals and to win.
- All judging is considered final and binding.
- Envision Kindness reserved the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Envision Kindness and the judges at their sole discretion.
- Envision Kindness reserves the right to extend contest deadlines at any point.
There will be five prizes awarded: First place, Popular Choice and three Honorable Mentions. The top vote getter will win a Popular Choice Prize! This prize is earned by popular (public) vote. You promote your entries and the world gets to pick their favorites.
- First Place: $500
- People’s Choice Award: $500
- Honorable Mention (3 chosen): $100 each
By accepting these terms, I, the Participant, agree to the following:
- Voluntary Participation: That participation in this contest is entirely voluntary
- Rules, Decisions, and Prizes:
- To abide by the contest rules
- That the decisions of the contest judges are final
- All federal, state and local taxes and any other fees from receiving prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners
- If the winner(s) of any prize are found to be ineligible or decline the prize, the prize will be forfeited. Envision Kindness and the judges, at their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another contestant
- License to Use Submitted Content:
- I (the “Participant”) agree to license to Envision Kindness, Inc (“Envision Kindness”), and its designated affiliates, the non-exclusive worldwide right to use the submitted content provided in the form of photographic images (all considered Content). I, the Participant, acknowledge that I am at least 18 years of age and own the copyright to the content provided to Envision Kindness. I recognize that there is no expectation of compensation for submitting this Content. If there are other creators of the submitted Content, then I, the Participant, warrants that all co-creators agree with the terms of the contest.
- Pursuant to this license agreement, Participant and any co- creators grants non- exclusive permission for the following usage of the Content:
- Display on the Envision Kindness website or affiliated websites;
- circulation via e- mail and similar messaging services ( e. g., Twitter, Facebook) to Envision Kindness subscribers;
- display in physical exhibits in venues such as galleries or museums or theaters;
- publication as part of a collective work in book, journal, calendar or other form;
- use for promoting Envision Kindness and Envision Kindness-sponsored events ( including events for which Envision Kindness is not the sole sponsor);
- Envision Kindness may modify the content or create derivative works at the discretion of Envision Kindness; and
- social science research
- Participant retains all copyright that they own to the content and grants Envision Kindness a nonexclusive license to modify and utilize Content for its own purposes, motives and benefits without limitations.
- If published, Content will be identified as work of Participant (and co-creators, as indicated)
- Accompanying Information and Model Releases:
- Participant warrants that the information provided to Envision Kindness (whether entered onto the contest website or in any form of communication with Envision Kindness staff) is complete and accurate to the best of their knowledge.
- Participant also warrants that they have received model releases from any and all individuals captured in their Content having a realistic expectation of privacy. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/ province/ territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release. In addition, any information contained in the model release is complete and accurate and that, if a model release is provided, the persons depicted in Content have consented to publication or use of their likeness for purposes such as advertising, promotion, placement on commercial products, and fundraising. I, the Participant, agree to be responsible for retaining the model release for seven years and agree to provide the model release(s) upon written request by Envision Kindness.
- Waiver and Release:
- The Participant of the submitted work, as well as any co- creators, shall indemnify, release and forever discharge and hold harmless Envision Kindness, its agents, officers, directors, employees, associates, successors and assigns from any and all liability, claims, and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from my association and engagement with Nonprofit. The indemnity shall apply to any liabilities and expenses (including attorneys’ fees and costs) or claim that I, the Participant, may have against Envision Kindness with respect to financial cost, bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death, or property damage or other loss that may result from my engagement with the Envision Kindness Photography Contest, including but not limited to the production of materials for Envision Kindness or participation in any Envision Kindness events.
- Cancellation of Contest: If for any reason the contest must be canceled, as determined by Envision Kindness, then Envision Kindness will not retain any rights to the submitted content from this contest.
- General Terms:
- If any term or provision of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable for any reason, the remainder of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect and shall be fully enforceable on its remaining terms and conditions.
- Participant agrees that all claims involving the content shall be brought in State of Connecticut, USA.
- This agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the Agreement between Participant and Envision Kindness, which supersedes any proposal or prior agreement, oral or written, and any other communication between Participant and Envision Kindness, relating to the subject of this Agreement.